Wednesday 17 April 2013

Evaluation

The purpose of doing my script was to create the disruption scene of a sequel to the film 'Submarine'. I am exploring the theme of coming of age, by presenting the mother of the main character, Oliver, as an important role of the scene as she acts like a stereotypical mother trying to help her son. And Oliver rejects any help that his mother offers, as any other stereotypical teen would react, by saying that he is grown up now and doesn't need help any more. Also, it is a struggle for teens to go from being teenagers to mature adults as there will always be people preventing that from happening. And in most teenagers situations it's their parents as they think they're still children, when they are not. The disruption of this scene is the death of Oliver's girlfriend, as she has cancer from her smoking addiction. She is illustrated as an adult because she is smoking, which is what many adults do. Cigarettes also show freedom of being able to do what you like. Although, she isn't acting like a mature adult if she has let this lead to something serious.
The purpose of the 9 key frames was to select the most important parts of the script which construct the theme of coming of age through the location being in a hospital. People are born their all because of their parents, which is the reason teenagers are alive. They don't realise that they are who they are because of their mum and dad. I have chosen the hospital as the location to emphasise that this is the death of the 'young' Oliver and the birth of a 'mature adult'. The shot types are mostly close-ups which suggests there is a lot of tension in the room. Also, the mother looks bigger than the other characters to convey the idea that she is taking control of things when she should let her son take over as he is grown up now, but she doesn't realise it.
In the film 'Submarine', the colour red was used a lot and the character, Jordana, wore a red coat. This colour represents love and danger. Therefore, in my script and 9 key frames, I put Jordana's coat on the chair next to Oliver to show that there is danger ahead but also love as he doesn't want to loose her. There was also a red light flashing as soon as Jordana died to inform the audience that she is dead.
I carried on the character threads of the mother, by making her take over and help out Jordana and Oliver, when she, and they both know that Oliver and Jordana are old enough to take care of themselves. Oliver's mother, tucks Jordana in with a blanket she brought her, and this reinforces the barrier that adolescents face when trying to grow up and become their own people. Oliver's reaction is very negative and he dislikes that his mother is still treating him like a child.
One of my MICRO points in my textual analysis was sex, but I didn't want to repeat this in the sequel, as Oliver and Jordana have already done it to show that they have turned into adults. Another point was Struggle, and it influenced me to create the barriers of coming of age between Oliver and his mother. I used the mise-en-scene of the colour 'red' as a warning sign to illustrate danger in the script and 9 key frames. I also kept Jordana's red coat in the background to show the same message. I carried on with the same main characters, which include Oliver, Jordana, and Oliver's parents. I also used some of the camera shots which were used in the film, Submarine, to convey messages. For instance, a low angle shot of Oliver and his mother, who is higher in the frame. This conveys she has power and control over Oliver.
The location report was used in the construction of the 9 key frames, by helping to influence what props and location etc to use. My location was hard to access, as the hospital wards are very demanding all the time. When I had to do my key frames, I wasn't allowed to access a hospital ward as there wasn't any wards available and they don't allow people to access the wards due to health and safety issues. Therefore, I had to find an empty room, and dressed it up as best as I could to look like a hospital ward. It was also difficult and expensive to find and buy things that would make my location look realistic. I had to improvise and use things that I could access and use easily.

My script was successful in presenting the theme of coming of age and showing the struggles that Oliver and Jordana had to face and overcome. The camera types I have used clearly show the barriers that Oliver and Jordana had to overcome whilst trying to grow up and become 'mature adults'. To improve the script I would show more of how Oliver would take control of the situation. I could've done this by Oliver going up to the doctor and asking what was happening about Jordana's cancer. He could have acted like the adult and took more control, instead of getting angry at his mother for offering him coffee and giving Jordana a blanket.
To improve the 9 key frames, I would have found a better location to shoot, and take more time to find more appropriate actors and props/costumes to make it look more realistic. I would have also improved the shot types, as they were exactly as I would have wanted them to be. Due to the space around my location, it was hard to move around the room to get the shots I wanted. Although, it did show that Jordana was clearly ill and Oliver was very worried. It also showed the mothers control, and how tired Oliver was of her. It also showed how the nurse wasn't telling them anything, and there were signs of danger in the frame.

Overall, my 9 key frames and script have successfully achieved the purpose I aimed for; which was to communicate the theme of coming of age. I feel as if my strengths for the portfolio overall, were my textual analysis and script. This was because the textual analysis was analysed in depth, and I enjoyed writing the script which made it more effective. I have successfully applied my knowledge and understanding of the importance of mise-en-scene, camera shots and costume to convey a message, that clearly links with the film Submarine. Furthermore, I found that my location report was successful as the script was very specific due to it being the illness/death of Jordana. It was easy for my to get there and take photographs and analyse any barriers to using the location. My weakness was the 9 key frames as I didn't take much time to plan out what I was going to use as an improvise for not being able to get a hospital ward. I would have preferred to actually shot in the location I had reported. It wasn't as I would have wanted it to look like, because of not being able to go on location. I would have also wanted to get a better costume for the character, Oliver. But due to expenses and availability of the clothing, I couldn't get what I wanted the actor to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment